English Teacher - TEFL Certified Native Speaker
I have experience with teaching a wide range of students, from elementary school students to company CEO’s, but have mostly focused on business professionals. I am well versed in face to face teaching as well as in online teaching styles. I’ve lived and worked in East Asia, Europe, and Latin America teaching both general and business English as well as FCE exam preparation courses.
align="right">July 2014 – present
Instru cted adults via a virtual whiteboard and video chat
- Conversati on, business English, and grammar lessons
- Individual and small group courses
- Beginner to advanced levels
English Teacher, Further School of English (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
Mar. 2014 – July 2014
Instructo r for a range of ESL courses, including:
- Seve ral in-company business English courses for a large international company
- FCE exam preparation
- One-on-o ne BEC exam preparation
English Teacher, Leading English Learning Center (Shaoxing, China)
Feb. 2013 – Jan. 2014
Taught young learners, ages 6-14
- designed lesson plans for and was in charge of teaching several classes of children from grades 1-8, where I improved students’ English knowledge using fun, engaging activities and games
- instructed several students in one-on-one reading and conversation classes
- acted as a judge in China’s CCTV English speaking competition
English Teacher (Prague, Czech Republic)
Jan. 2012 – Dec. 2012
Taught English as a foreign language for the following language schools, as well as to private students:
ACE Language Studio, Sentia, PEAK, Rodet, Jipka
- Taught both one-on-one and group courses, in-company and at home
- From elementary to advanced levels
- Experience with general, professional, business, and conversational English courses
- Tailored the classes to the needs and desires of the individual students
- Made the classes entertaining and interesting for the students
English Teacher, ITTP Prague (Prague, Czech Republic)
In-compan y teaching practice with a variety of ages and levels of English, including teaching one-on-one business English, three levels of general English to adults, and low-level school courses to children.
Sep. 2011 – Dec. 2011
SAT Test Preparation
Tutor ed high school students; prepared them for the SAT Math and Verbal sections by teaching them both the test material and test-taking strategies.
Student Instructor, UC Berkeley (Berkeley, CA, USA)
Fall 2008, 2009, 2010
Gener al and Organic Chemistry
Instruc ted college chemistry laboratories. Held review sessions and office hours on lecture material. Graded homework, lab reports, and exams.
Tutor, UNC Asheville (Asheville, NC, USA) &nb sp; &nb sp;
Tutored introductory college chemistry, as well as high school math and chemistry.
Educati on and Certification
ITTP TEFL Prague, Czech Republic
Com pleted an onsite, 4-week, 130 hour TEFL program covering teaching skills and methodology, lesson planning, and language awareness, with 6 hours of teaching practice.
Univ ersity of California, Berkeley
August 2008 – December 2010
Chemistry, GPA: 3.73
Relevant coursework: Professional Preparation - Supervised Teaching of Chemistry
Univ ersity of North Carolina, Asheville
August 2004 – May 2008
B.S., Chemistry, concentration Biochemistry, minor Mathematics, GPA: 3.87
Experience: 4 years
I am a native English speaker (from the U.S.) with TEFL certification and several years’ experience teaching English full-time. My lessons are tailored to the students’ needs and generally emphasize conversation through the use of interesting and engaging stories, media shorts or audio clips. These dynamic elements of the lesson are then used as a jumping off point to improve grammar and vocabulary.
I’m originally from Florida in the United States and have been living in several different countries over the past few years – the Czech Republic, China, and now Argentina. I've worked on learning the local language in each of those places so I understand what it’s like to be a language learner too! I know that learning a new language can be an intimidating experience and am always patient with my students. I also feel it is important to listen to my students and try my best to respond to their needs.