General Spanish language
|languages||English, Portuguese, Spanish|
HDip in Spanish - 2013 - University College Cork, Cork, Ireland.
PhD in Sociolinguistics - 2012 - Trinity College, University of Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
MPhil in Applied Linguistics - 2004 - Trinity College, University of Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other languages) certificate - 1998 - University College Cork, Cork, Ireland.
RELSA (Recognised Language Schools Association) certificate - 1992 - Cork Language Centre International, Cork, Ireland.
2014 To Present
Proprietor and Spanish tutor at Kidz Lingo, Cork, Ireland.
• Course design and materials development
• Delivery of total immersion Spanish classes to younger learners.
July 2007 to Present
Director of Studies of Junior School, Atlantic School of English
• Coordinating and materials development for Junior Programme
• Assessing and monitor students’ levels
• Teaching English to young learners from beginners to advanced Levels
• Teacher training
August 2003 to Present
TEFL Tutor, i-to-i
• Presenting workshops on aspects of teaching and latest
developments in TEFL
• Observing and evaluating trainees teaching practice
January 2015 To March 2015
Spanish Tutor, Department of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies, University College Cork.
• Delivering Spanish language tutorials to second year Arts and Commerce students
• Preparing materials and language based classroom activities
November 2014 to March 2015
Lecturer in Intercultural Communication, School of Management and Marketing, University College Cork
• Delivering lectures on Intercultural Communication, population movement, language contact and language variation and change.
• Course design and delivery on a Springboard course module entitled ‘Negotiating Knowledges in the Networked Society’.
2012 to June 2013
Director of Studies, Cork School of Business
• Developing General English curriculum
• Assessing new students’ levels
• Materials development
October 2001 to June 2003
English Tutor, Dublin Business School
• Teaching English and developing academic skills to prepare students for transition to tertiary education
• Developing teaching materials, course planning and continuous assessment tests for foundation programme courses
August 1999 to March 2001
English Teacher, The British Council and Universidad Externado de Colombia, Bogotá, Colombia.
• Teaching general English to adults, children, and students from the Faculty of Finance, Government and International Relations
April 1997 to June 1997
English Teacher, Hong Kong Language Institute, Lam Kwai Fong, Hong Kong Island.
November 1995 to February 1997
English Teacher, Sydney English Language Centre, Sydney, Australia.
October 1992 to June 1995
English Teacher, Epicentre, Seville, Spain.
Experience: 2 years
I employ a communicative approach in my teaching which allows students to learn language through language use. In this way the students start speaking the new language straight away using vocabulary and basic phrases. Class content and materials are negotiated with the student depending on their needs and wants for the language. I go at the pace of the students, encourage and motivated them to progress but do not push them beyond their limits. Classes are fun, engaging and challenging but not above the level of the particular student/s.