Experienced English Tutor
1993 to 1997
Acadia University (Canada)
Course of Study
• Bachelor of Business Administration (Accounting)
Accreditation Council for TESOL Distance Education Courses (ACTDEC)
Course of Study
• Certificate in the Theory and Methodology of TESOL (Global English)
2014 - Present
• Corporate English Trainer
2015 - Present
Open English (Online)
• Academic Specialist
2016 - Present
Verbal Planet (Online)
• English Teacher
Experience: 12 years
I am British, although I have lived in & was educated in various countries as I was raised, primarily Canada, as well as the U.S., Jamaica and Bermuda. The taste for new cultures continued on into my adult life, as during my working experiences I had always pursued travel in my spare time, eventually marrying my beautiful wife of 10 years in the Dominican Republic & deciding to settle down last year to raise our toddlers in the country.
Prior to that I had been working for many years as an accountant for various companies, including PricewaterhouseCoopers, with more than 20 years of experience in business administration & extensive, on-hand development of practical IT skills, while also offering various support services within a community centre, such as volunteering for an instructional gym & swim program for children with special needs. Currently I use the language skills I have gained through study and experience to offer personal counselling to individuals on how to improve their English.
• Establishing an effective learning climate, where learners feel safe and comfortable expressing themselves.
• Involving learners in mutual planning of relevant methods and curricular content.
• Involving learners in diagnosing their own needs, to help to trigger internal motivation.
• Encouraging learners to formulate their own learning objectives i.e. giving them more control of their learning.
• Encouraging learners to identify resources and devise strategies for using the resources to achieve their objectives.
• Supporting learners in carrying out their learning plans.
• Involving learners in evaluating their own learning, in order to help them to develop their skills of critical reflection.